Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Additions


I had a busy work this week. The company had decided to hire two IT guys. The last guy had left the firm two months ago. He didn’t even give a notice or anything. He just didn’t show up for work that day only calling to tell us he would not be coming back. The IT department had recommended the company hire two guys since the work had increased two-folds since we installed a new system for the office.
The HR suggested we place an advert for the vacancy in the local dailies. It was a bit expensive but it would give us a lot of reach to the wide demographic of people who read the paper daily. My boss, Mrs. Wright was against us getting the new employees through the Employment Agencies since its really costly and may delay the whole process.
I searched for the newspapers contacts via the internet on the website. I called the sales office for the most read daily and inquired about advertising costs. The figure was not as high as I figured so forwarded the typed words for the advert and paid via a cheque. The advert was to be printed the next day.
Early the following day, I bought the newspaper and checked how the advert came out. It was as I wanted. The advert was placed on the first page of classifieds and the company name was not mentioned. By around two o’clock, my inbox was full with applications coming in. The advert seemed to have attracted a lot of interested people. I went through some of the applications and shortlisted them to a figure around ten. I showed the HR the final list. She was impressed but she thought it would be best if we called in the head of IT, Fred, to come and screen the list to about five who would be contacted later on for interviews.
Fred came in and gave his opinion on how we would take in the candidates. We decided to call in the ones who had a bit of experience of about two years. The date set for the interviews was for this Friday. It was only two days away. Since we really needed to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, Friday was the perfect date for it.
On Friday morning, I set up the boardroom to be used for the interviews. Three of us, Fred, the HR and I were the ones to conduct the interviews. The candidates were expected to arrive from 10am. I was hopeful that we would get a good candidate and end this process. I went back into my office and worked on some work that I had. After some time, the phone rang.
“Excuse me but the candidates are here.” The secretary said.
“Thank you; please show the first one to the boardroom in five minutes.” I replied and hanged up.
I alerted the HR and called Fred from the extension and asked him to meet us at the boardroom. The first candidate was a young man aged twenty four. He had a Diploma from a well-known college with two years’ experience. He seemed confident enough. He answered the questions well. The second candidate was a lady. This would be interesting since the IT department had no female. I was impressed with her but she didn’t perform well at some of the questions. The third and fourth candidates flanked out from the first questions they were asked. The fifth candidate performed fairly well. We promised all of them to call them and let them know on how they had performed. We were left with the tedious work of discussing would best fit in the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment