Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Home Front"



"Have you told your mother yet?" Ann asked.

"I haven't. You are the first person I have told. I'll have to tell her soon." I replied.

"She will be pretty excited."

"Yea I know. She has been asking for a grandson for sometime right now." I added. "Her family is growing so big."

"Yes it is."

We left Jay's restaurant after a few minutes. Ann went back to work while I went directly home. I had taken the day off from work so as to be able to go the the doctor in the morning. I was feeling sleepy. I had to take a nap. As I drove off, I made a mental note to call my mother later to tell her the good news.

I am not sure how long I slept but I was awaken up by Fred. He was home. I picked up my phone then looked at the time. It was six thirty! I dragged myself from the bed and went to the kitchen. Fred was making a salad. I gave him a hug, kissed him on the lips before opening the fridge to figure out what I would cook for dinner. I removed some minced meat from the freezer and decided on pasta to go alongside with it.

"Are you okay?" Fred asked over my shoulder.

"Yes I am. Why?"

"You look a bit pale."

"I'm good. I want to prepare dinner. I am hungry."

"Can I help?" he asked.

"Yes please."

I moved to the kitchen sink to wash some onions. Fred took the meat and defrost it with the microwave. He then took the onion from my hand and finely chopped it before starting to cook the meat.

"Dad and mom were really happy with the news." He started.

"Which news?" I asked.

"That we are expecting."

"You already told them?" I asked a bit shocked.

"Yes I did. I could not wait."

"Oh, that's nice." I replied not so sure.

"My mother said she will be coming to visit us soon." Fred added.

This was one of the things I was avoiding. Fred's parents are really so caring that sometimes it can become a bit too much. His mother would offer to take care of us now that she was going to get the grandkid. Its good but I wanted us to build our home without the In-laws contribution.

"Did she set a date yet?" I asked.

"No, not yet. She will call me tomorrow to confirm."

We continued to prepare the food in silence. Fred served it for both of us and we had it infront of the TV watching the evening news. The news was a bit depressing! War in Syria, recent shooting of young teenagers in the state and politics.

"You know baby, the company is going to make some major changes in a few days." I started.

"How?" He asked.

"The management is thinking of cutting some resources. They might lay off a few people soon." I replied. "It may happen sooner or later."

"Oh my God. Are we safe?" He asked.

"For now I am not so sure. I am scared too especially when since we are planning to expand the family."

"Kate, don't stress yourself. Everything will work out in its time. We will know how will cope when we get there." Fred assured me.


No comments:

Post a Comment