Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Loss


Saturday morning, I drove over to Ann's house. I knocked on her door then forced myself in. She was on her couch holding her tummy. She had called me in the middle of the night telling me of having severe cramps. She could withstand the pain so she suggested I take her to hospital in the morning. Her husband, Mike, was out of town on an assignment.
I helped her to my car as she was really weak. I could see little drops of sweat on her forehead and I knew she was having a fever. As she was trying to sit in the front seat, I saw a red patch on the back of her dress that looked like blood. My heart skipped a beat. Was she having a miscarriage? 

I didn't want to raise the alarm so I just went to the driver's seat and drove off. Despite the hospital being ten minutes away, I felt like it took an hour or so. Ann was now crying hysterically from the pain in her tummy.

I led her to straight to the nurse who was standing near the reception and tried to explain to her. Her look explained the situation. It was bad! She called for a wheel chair and Ann was pushed to the examination room. I was not allowed to go with her so I had to wait. 

I texted Fred. I needed him to know the situation that we were in. I had left him still in the house sleeping as he leaves the house at 8 am. He texted back immediately and asked what was the main issue. I was not sure yet so i told him we need to wait for the Doctor's final diagnosis. 

After about two hours, the nurse called my name and asked me to go with her to the Doctors office. The doctor was a nice young woman with blond hair tied into a pony tail. She signaled me to one of the seats in front of her. 

"My name is Dr. Mary Ward and the doctor to the patient you brought." She started. "She was in a bad state when you brought her in. We did all we could but unfortunately she miscarried."

My suspicions were right. 

"Is she in pain?" I asked.

"No. she is not. We gave her a sedative and she is sleeping as we speak. We initially did a pelvic exam and ultrasound test to check if there is anything that remained in her womb. Since there was some remains, we had to perform a dilation and curettage procedure. So we are now monitoring her condition. She is stable for now."

"Wow!" I responded.

"I know its a lot but she is fine." She assured me.

"What caused this?" 

"There are a lot of reasons why a miscarriage happens. It can be either Chromosomal abnormalities, uterine abnormalities, immunologic disorders, uncontrolled diabetes, bacterial infection, drugs, or stressful environment. For her case, she either was under so much stress both at home and work."

"She has been under stress lately. She doesn't have a nanny and her job is really time consuming." I said.

"She has to take time and give herself some rest." Dr Ward said.

"Ill try and help her. Can I see her?" I asked.

"Yes but only for ten minutes. She needs the rest."




No comments:

Post a Comment