Thursday, October 13, 2016


I got down to my work as soon as I sat down. I was to conduct a staff recruitment process for the Accounting department as they needed two accounting assistants. After checking the exact descriptions needed, I sent the advert to few employment agencies.

I had a meeting at ten o'clock with the managers thereafter I was to finish my reports which were due today. Work got so busy that I even forgot to go for lunch. I only realized I was hungry at around 2.15pm. I quickly dashed to the restaurant nearby and had a quick lunch.

Back to the office, my email was all full. I had almost ten resumes from different applicants regarding the job. That was fast! I looked at each of them and noticed that they were all qualified for the position. I rang Mrs. Wright and gave her the update.

"I did not expect that much response especially on the first day." I said.

"So what do you think we should do?" She asked.

"I had put the deadline as two days after today."

"Then just go through the applications we have received then do the selection. I think it will be easier for you in the end." She said.

"Yes, that would be easier."

"Then we can start the interviews either on Friday or early next week. The department really needs people urgently."

"I'll do that."

"Please keep me in the loop on the interview date. You also have to inform George of the date as he will also be present." 

I walked back to my desk and started critically looking at the CVs. Since they were many, I figured I can eliminate first those with grammatical errors, the spacing and formatting. I came to a conclusion that most candidates do not take time to read what they before sending. One had done everything so perfectly but had not indicated her phone number. How was one supposed to contact her? The other one had not formatted his work well. One had sent his resume without the cover letter!

At the end of the day, I drove back to the house. I was tired. Chloe and the nanny were sitted at the balcony looking over the street. She smiled when she saw me and ran to me. I gave her a hug and went to the house. They followed me inside.

"How have you been?" I asked.

"We have been okay. Chloe ate her food well but has not finished the fruits." The nanny started. "She is picky in eating water melons."

"What about other fruits?"

"She still loves pineapples and bananas."

"Okay. We will not force the melons on her." I said. "Did she drink water?"

"Yes she did."

Chloe walked in from of us and picked my phone. She went to the games sections and opened it. As she was busy playing, I could not help but be thankful for how far she had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment