Friday, June 15, 2012

Lost


I have never experienced such a long journey as this. On our way back home, both Ann and Mike were not talking to each other. Fred and I found ourselves in awkward positions that we also chose to remain silent. They dropped us girls at our apartment before zooming off to return the car.

“How did it go?” I asked Ann when we finally entered the house.

“Bad.” She replied. “He was so shocked that he didn’t even say anything.”

“I’m sorry but I think he will come to his senses and want to talk to you about it.”

“I really hope he does. He is really making me nervous and I don’t think it will be good for the baby.” She said.

“Does that mean you are considering on keeping it?” I asked.

“Yes. I think I will manage to support it even if he will not want to help.” She replied while stroking her tummy.

“I’m also here for you dear, every step of the way.” I said.                                            

“Thank you.” Ann said with a smile on her face. “By the way, are you and Fred good?”

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“Are you sure?” She asked. “I have noticed that you don’t have your engagement ring on.”

“What?”

Sure enough, I looked down my left hand and I didn’t have the ring! I almost had a heart attack. I stood up quickly from the couch and started removing the cushions but it wasn’t there.

“Kate, did you lose it?” Ann asked with a confused look on her face.

“I don’t know. I had it all day today. Please help me look for it.”

Together, we started by looking on the floors but it wasn’t there. Since we didn’t go to the other rooms since we came, we decided to check on the balcony, the stairs then the gate. Nothing! The ring had disappeared! I was almost in tears now. How could I explain the disappearance especially to Fred? I wanted it back so bad.

“Don’t cry.” Ann tried to assure me. “I believe that it will be found sooner or later.”

I didn’t know what to add to what she said. I only realized that I had been standing sobbing for the last few minutes. I didn’t know what to do. I just went back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment