Monday, November 4, 2013

Trip



“Where are you?” Ann called me again. “We have been waiting for a long time dear.”

Mike, Ann, Fred and I were supposed to go to a mutual friend that lived on the other side of the town. It was past ten in the morning but I was delaying the team behind. As Ann was busy calling me, I was still in the bedroom trying to fit into the clothes I had set out. Fred had left the house early since he had to pass by the workplace first before meeting at Mike’s house and therefore leave together.

“Ann, I don’t have anything to wear!” I responded back.

“What do you mean?” Get out of that house before we leave you!!”

“You won’t leave me.” I said

“Are you sure about that? I woke up earlier than you and had to prepare the baby. What were you doing since morning?” She asked angrily.

“I don’t know. These jeans are refusing to fit me today.”

“Just wear a dress and come over.” Ann said then hang up.

I tried again to fit in into the new dark blue jeans that I bought and finally after a long struggle, I managed to fit in. I wore a yellow blouse on top then quickly ran out of the house to the direction of Ann’s house.

From the ground floor, I could hear the sound of the baby crying. I looked up and spotted Ann holding the baby at the balcony trying to make him stop. I called her and waved frantically. She saw me and called out Mike and Fred and they started coming donwards and we met at the car park.

“What the hell were you doing?” Fred asked. He looked pissed.

“Sorry about that, some delays in the dressing department.” I replied.

“You kept us waiting for a long time Kate. An hour plus…”

“Sorry.”

Fred was really ticked off. I decided to ignore him and entered the car and sat at the front passenger seat. Ann and Mike sat at the back with the baby in the middle on the baby car seat.

The drive took at least an hour or so. The pal we were going to visit was a college met and he had also hooked up with a classmate. Fred met him in town the other day and he invited us for lunch at his place. He was waiting on the driveway when we arrived. He greeted us and let into the house.

“Hello Pete, long time.” Mike said when we sat down.

“I’m good…glad to have you around.”

“Where is Angela?” Ann asked looking around the house.

“She upstairs sleeping.”

“At this time?” I asked.
“It seems weird but she just had some of her medicine so she went to lie down a bit.” Pete said.

“Is she sick or something?” I asked.

“You guys didn’t know?” he asked surprised.

We all shook our head.

“She has breast cancer. Stage 2.”

No comments:

Post a Comment