Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More Responsibility

Waking into the office the next day, I really felt lazy. As usual we have to pass by the receptionist desk before our adjoining offices but today, the receptionist grabbed my hand.  She informed me that the boss had scheduled an appointment with me at nine o’clock at her office.

I walked to my desk slowly with my heart almost skipping a beat. I was nervous on what we would discuss together with Mrs. Wright. Most of the time when she called someone in her office, it was either to fire them or offer them suspension on what someone has done. She never minced words with anyone. Her work ethics were so high that anything below what she expects would lead one her bad side.

I switched on the computer. I decided to go to the internet and not stress myself so much on the issue. I checked up on some emails, went to some twitter and updated myself with the issues at hand then read two newspapers online. These days I am so addicted to social media that it takes up most of the time in the office.

I was so indulged in the computer that I didn’t notice that the HR Manager had not come to the office and yet it was already eight thirty. I lifted up my head and looked towards her desk. She wasn’t in. Since I was employed at this organization, she always has been on her desk even before I arrived.  Word in the office was she always came in at seven o’clock.  What could have happened to her today? I checked on my phone to see if I had any messages from her. I didn’t.

At exactly nine o’clock, I proceeded to the main office. I knocked and heard Mrs. Wright’s strong voice letting me in. I opened the door slowly and walked in to her desk.

“Good Morning.” I said still standing.

“Morning Catherine, do have a seat.” She said.

I sat down slowly, adjusted my skirt and clasped my hands on my lap. I was almost trembling.

“The reason I called you today is to inform you that The HR will not be coming in today. So you have to take both of her and your tasks today until I relieve you of them. She was involved in an accident yesterday evening and lost her husband. “

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I said.

“Yes, it very sad but work has to continue this week. It will be challenging to you especially since this is the last week of the month so ensure that the salaries are paid on time. You can also organize with a few employees on who will attend the funeral. I’ll pass to you the date later on.” She said.

“I’ll do that.”

“Okay. You can go back to your work station and get on to it.” Mrs. Wright said.

“Thank you.” I said and left the office. Phew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment