Friday, November 23, 2012

Friends Forever


The next few days were really tough. I was just starting to get used with dad not being here anymore and still adjusting to being a wife. I also had work waiting for me at the office. The work load was a lot as the company was preparing to close the year.

My Bff on the other hand was still getting bigger. Her tummy was so big that she couldn’t hide it anymore as she had done in the past. Before I started office work again, we spent the weekend together and also to give her the gift I brought her from Kenya. She still craved sugary stuff and her fridge was packed to the brim with ice-cream. She served me a chocolate chip one and she opted for strawberry ice-cream.

“Actually Mike is getting used to this whole thing. I was afraid that he was going to back out but he is working really hard to be there for me.” Ann said when I asked how they were doing after our usual gossips.

“That’s good. He will be a great dad to the kid.” I added.

“I know. I’m glad things are turning out well.” She said with a smile.

Sitting this close to her, I notice a lot that I hadn’t noticed. Her face brightened up when we started discussing about Mike. Although she was a little chubby now in the face, her smile still brightened up the room.

“Can you scratch my back please?” Ann said pointing at her lower back.

She turned around and lifted her pink chiffon dress up. Actually she was pointing where her stretch marks had started forming. Thin dark lines run down her lower back. She tried scratching again.

“Don’t scratch. You will make them bigger.”

“What?”                                            

“You have stretch marks all over your lower back. All that weight you putting on and the tummy stretching is causing them.”

“Nooo! I did not want them.”

“Guess it’s time to throw out the ice-creams and start eating healthy.” I replied. “And you have to buy that Palmers cocoa butter lotion to soothe your skin. I heard it works wonders!”

We finished up the ice-cream quickly and went to the market to do a little shopping for her. We decided to buy fruits to help her with her cravings and we also got the Palmers lotion. I helped her clean up the fridge; arrange new and fresh items in before washing the dirty utensils that were on the sink. I became the lucky beneficiary of the many ice-creams she had.  I wanted to spend more time with her so I texted Fred and asked him if he would drop by Ann’s house for dinner. He was at his cousin’s place and I wasn’t sure what time he would show up. I didn’t want to be alone in our house without him.

Mike showed up few minutes later from work looking tired. Fred then came in an hour later and we enjoyed each other company over the food we had prepared with Ann. The chicken stew with rice was really delicious. I was also able to thank Ann and Mike both for supporting us with the wedding and the funeral. True friends are the ones that stick with on during happy and sad times.

No comments:

Post a Comment