Monday, May 9, 2011

Of Tools and Needles


When I woke up in the morning, I was sure what I wanted to do.

I called up a clinic in town after I got a number from the directory and booked myself for the ten o’clock appointment. Despite having hesitations, I told the receptionist to book me up for an abortion. I got the picture that most patients don’t announce what they wanted through the phone as she kept quiet for a while then confirmed it.

Ann had already left for work so I had the house by myself. I took a shower then dressed up. After breakfast, I watched a little bit of cable news before I left the house. I wasn’t sure I wanted Fred’s company so I went alone. Ann was scared of anything to do with blood so I thought I shouldn’t even bother telling her about the issue.

At the clinic, I was all alone. There were like seven other chairs at the lobby other than the one I sat on but they were all empty. The clinic was silent except for the occasional noise that the receptionist was making with the copier. It seemed like eternity before the doctor was ready for me. I looked at my watch and realized that I just spent five minutes waiting.

The doctor instructed me to lay on the table which was right across the room. There was a table beside it with some tools spread over a white sheet. I changed into the patient gown which was rather uncomfortable with my butt out. I climbed over the bed and spread my legs.

“Will it be painful?” I asked.

“Not so much but you will feel a little uncomfortable.” He assured me.

“Okay.” I said.

He gave me an injection on my hand and then sat across me with my neither regions facing him. I have never felt so embarrassed. I felt him touch me with a wet cloth and I quickly asked.

“What was that?”

“I’m preparing you to prevent infections. I think you should try to relax and let me do my thing here.”

Guess I should just shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment